Rock Fireplace Update




Got an ugly fireplace that is stuck in the 1970's?
Here is one way to update it. Some of our houses look like they are right out of the 1970's but they don't have to!
What you need:
Quart of white Primer:
-Few bottles of different neutral colors, any art store brand will do.
-Interior glaze (this can be purchased at Sherwin Williams. It is one of their faux finishing products.
-3" paint brush
-Artistic eye (This can either be something you are born with or something you can learn through countless hours of practice)

First clean your fireplace with a basic water and vinegar solution. Scrub all the years of dust away.

Once the rocks are dry again start painting on your primer. You can paint the grout also but I chose to only paint my stones.

let primer dry and start mixing a few different colors of paint with various amounts of glaze mixed in. I would suggest starting out with more glaze than paint. You can always go back over the stones again.

Brush on your colors. This is where the artistic eye comes in but I found that the texture of the stones really did a lot of the work for me.

Make sure to cover all of the white primer. White stands out against even the lightest neutrals.

Then your done! Light some candles and enjoy your new fireplace for under $70.

7 comments:

  1. The pictures are not coming up. I really want to see them! It it just a bog white square. I did press refresh several times but it didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't read the directions on the fireplace update, the pictures on the left of your blog are blocking it. Would you mind emailing me your instructions on paintin your fireplace? Thanks so much, mhcpecerc@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see your pictures. They are just showing up as a white square.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would LOVE to see the pictures. Only showing white block. Remodeling my new home..Need some ideas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please fix pictures they are just white squares. I am stuck with a entire wall and fire place in the 70’s stone and desperate to get suggestions how to update it

    ReplyDelete