Raspberry Cake



October first is my husbands birthday. What could be a better than a gift for your man than one straight from your feminine heart. This raspberry cake is sure to please with it's bright fresh taste. I suggest filling it with either lemon meringue pie filling or cheese cake filling with my Butterycream Icing I will post recipes for those two fillings and my favorite icing at a later date. Today we are just doing the cake part.

This recipe will yield enough batter to make two 9 inch caks (3 layers each). I suggest halving or even quartering the recipe if you are just trying it.

5 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups unsalted butter
4 1/2 cup sugar
6 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla ( I don't care if you use the real stuff or not, I like to be thrifty though)
Zest of two lemons
juice of two lemons or more if you like a more citrus taste. I recommend about 1/3 cup of juice total.
2 cups of sour cream
6oz package of raspberry jello
6 oz fresh or thawed frozen raspberries
few drops of pink food dye


Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add all other ingredients one at a time until well mixed. Mix in flour last.

grease and flour your pans. Fill pans a little less than half way. Sift sugar over the tops of the cakes then throw them in the oven.

These cakes will cook for about 40 min. I have never timed it though. I usually let them bake in 20 min increments, checking and re-setting the timer.

When they are done, let them sit on the oven top for only about 5 min. then flip them out onto a cooling rack. Once they are just still a little warm wrap them in cellophane and store them in the freezer until you are ready to ice. Make sure to pich some of the cake off so that you can try it. You can also bake a small personal cake in a coffee mug so that you can sit down with a cup of coffee and cake after your hard work. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment